Much to our surprise, you came two weeks and one day early.
We thought we had plenty of time… especially because everyone says the first
baby comes late. Here is your birth story:
On Tuesday night (April 12th), Tim was at a work
event, and he was planning to spend the night in Chicago. I decided to stay
home because I was worried I wouldn’t sleep well in a hotel (thank goodness I
decided that). At 12:45 Central Time, I woke up thinking that my water had broke…
I was pretty sure that’s what was going on, but I googled it just to make sure
because I wasn’t having any contractions yet. After I decided that was indeed
what happened, I called Tim to let him know what was going on. At this point, I
was very stressed because there were no trains running to get Tim back home to
me, and I was alone. I called the Hospital to ask them what I should do, and
they said I should come in. So I packed up some stuff, and left. I called Tim
and he said he would take a cab from Chicago to Chesterton. At first I told him
not to because I wasn’t sure you were actually coming… but he said he was
definitely coming back and would get the rest of the hospital stuff at the
apartment before setting out for the Hospital. I got in the car and started the
one hour drive to Mishawaka. It helped to listen to my book on tape (The Help),
while I drove to take my mind off of the contractions and the fact that I was
driving myself to the hospital while in labor and it would be awhile before my
husband arrived.
Once I got to the Hospital and got all checked in, they put me
in a triage room… I still wasn’t sure what was going on and if you were
actually coming… but I waited for the doctor and tracked Tim on Find My
Friends. He wasn’t as far along as I thought he would be, but that’s because he
got pulled over for speeding and the police officer ran his plates. Luckily he
didn’t get a ticket, but he did get a warning. The doctor arrived and checked
to see how dilated I was… I could hardly believe it when he said four
centimeters… I asked him if he thought you were coming today and he said yes…
that’s when reality really set in, and I got even more excited to meet you! Tim
arrived right after the doctor finished checking me - around 5AM Eastern time. Because I was already so dilated,
they moved me into a labor room. My contractions started getting closer
together and more intense… it was at this point that I couldn’t hide the fact
that things were painful, and I sort of went into a whole different world, just
focused on breathing and getting through each contraction. After being in the
labor room for just a little bit, the nurses thought we better check how
dilated I was again because things were moving so quickly. I was already 8-9 cm
dilated! I spent just a few more minutes having contractions and trying to
breathe through them when they said I was 9.5 cm dilated… only a little bit
more time, and I could start to push. Dr. Parker arrived right when I was 10 cm
dilated, and I started pushing. About twenty minutes later, you arrived safe,
sound, and so loved! The nurses gave you to me right away and we just lay there
skin-to-skin for about an hour. It was a beautiful, exhausting, amazing
experience.
1 comment:
What an amazing story! Welcome to the world Little Lenny.
Post a Comment