When I was younger - like 4 or 5 - I remember thinking that it was so hard to remember things from earlier in my life. So occasionally, I would decide, "I'm going to remember this moment, right now, forever." I would do this at the most random times... like I vividly remember doing that walking past the meat counter at the grocery store. So, I have realized that deciding to remember a moment forever works, but now I have realized that maybe I should try to remember moments that are more meaningful than walking past the meat counter... For example, I remember on our wedding day, when I was alone and waiting in the bridal room before our wedding ceremony, thinking this was one moment I wanted to remember forever, and I can easily put myself back there and feel the same way I had been feeling in that moment.
I'm trying to make the decision to remember some of those everyday moments with Lenny that I love so much. These moments are often repetitive, but I want to decide to remember at least one of each of them, so I can put myself back in that moment later in life. In this way, I can build my treasure chest of moments to cherish. Some of the best include...
1) When he was itty bitty and I wore him in the woven wrap and bounced until he fell asleep.
2) When he finished nursing and looked up with me with his sweet blue eyes and smiled.
3) When we were playing together and he was sitting on my lap and leaned back and turned to look at me just to check in.
4) When we were eating together and he sat in his bumbo on the table, and randomly stopped eating, smiled, and then reached for my face.
5) When I was holding him, and all of the sudden he started smiling and laughing at something behind me, and I turned and it was Dada. (Lenny really really loves his Dada - he is definitely the fun one.)
Yesterday was one of the best moments that we had that I knew I needed to remember forever. He has been teething, and we had a long day traveling to South Bend. He had not napped well at all, and when we got home he was still fussy and had a runny nose. I tried laying down with him to get him to nap. He was not interested, but was still so tired. I thought maybe he didn't want to lie down because of his runny nose. I sat up in the bed leaning against the pillows and put him on my lap facing me. He laid his tired little head against my chest and fell asleep like that for an hour. It was one of those moments, where you feel like the world can just keep spinning around you, but you are stopped in time and so totally and perfectly satisfied.
I know these moments are so typical, and some of them happen even more than once a day, but these are my favorites. I love you, sweet Lenny, and when you look back on this, I hope you feel cherished. Thank you for contributing to my treasure chest of beautiful moments.

1 comment:
This is such a great reminder, especially for me right now! I love this, instead of getting caught up in the everyday-ness...committing some it small precious moments to memory, imprinting them. I felt like I was on survival mode with PT and missed so much of his babyhood.
Thank you for sharing and the reminder.
Post a Comment