Jan 25, 2017

Sweet Potato Apple Bake

In October we bought an Instant Pot. I have really enjoyed using it, and it definitely helps keep meals efficient. We recently started a Whole30, and I've used the Instant Pot almost every day because it makes preparing vegetables so easy. For example, I can get perfectly cooked spaghetti squash in less than 15 minutes. It's so great. We also have done beef bourguignon twice... once before the whole30 and once during (I swapped out apple cider vinegar and balsamic vinegar for the red wine, used tapioca starch on the meat instead of flour, and double downed on the veggies). I am so not one for complicated meals, but using the instant pot made the meal so much easier. Another favorite was mushroom risotto. I'm also really excited to use it to make bone broth... we are just waiting to get more bones, and then we will try it! So, I feel like I have used it enough times now that I can officially recommend it as another kitchen gadget.

Today I made a sweet potato apple bake, and I was excited to see if Lenny would like it. He loved it... which I guess isn't that much of a surprise because it is food after all. I'm glad that Lenny liked it because it has so many good things in it for him. Usually every meal I try to make sure that he eats a protein, fat, and carb... the carbs are never hard because he loves fruit so much, but occasionally the others can be tricky especially if he spotted some fruit before eating his protein or fat. What was so great about this, was that it had everything in it - apples and sweet potato for the carbs (and sweetness that he likes), eggs and coconut flour for the protein, and coconut milk for the fat. As an added perk, it has other seasonings that he hasn't tried yet (like cardamom) so he can broaden his palate.

Ingredients:
3 Sweet Potatoes
4 Apples
6 eggs
1/3 cup tapioca starch
1 cup coconut flour
2 T. cinnamon
1 T. Pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 can coconut milk
2 cups unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 cups roughly chopped pecans

Directions:
Cook sweet potatoes in instant pot (manual 18 minutes, natural release); Cook apples in instant pot (manual 3 minutes, quick release). Peel sweet potatoes and apples; Mash apples; Whisk sweet potatoes and apples together in a large bowl. Whisk in eggs. Add starch, coconut flour, spices, and salt. Mix together. Add coconut milk. Mix. Add coconut and raisins. Mix. Pour in a 9x13 parchment lined pan ( I used a pie plate, but in retrospect, I would have used something bigger). Sprinkle the pecans on top and lightly press them into the mixture. Bake at 400 for 1 hour, or until golden on the top.

No comments: